Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Chicago Eats - Yusho


Yusho is a "yakitori-inspired" restaurant on the north part of the city in the Avondale neighborhood. Basically, you're going to have a bunch of different types of meats, seafood, veggies, and more skewered and grilled.

Overall verdict: Yusho is a good place to eat with a lot of unique flavors and dishes. Think Japanese inspired tapas. I'm a fan, but too distracted by all of the other restaurants in Chicago to head back anytime soon. My recommendation is to go here with a group of 4 so you can try everything on the menu. Then you'll never really have to go back. 


Maitake Mushroom with Egg Vinaigrette - Quite possibly my favorite dish of the night.

 Leeks - Surprisingly flavorful. I wouldn't consider leeks to be such a hit, but they were great.

Sea Urchin w/Buddha's Hand Fruit - These were like fried spring rolls with a unique citrus like fruit. 
I love uni! 

 Grilled Oyster - Biggest. Oyster. Ever. Pretty much what you'd expect from a hot oyster.

 Chicken Wings - These were de-boned and skewered. The bonito salt and lime really brought out new flavors besides your run of the mill "chicken flavor". 

Eel - The eel was tiny and had that sweet type of glaze that eel always seems to have. They came with potato croquette-like balls. Not really what we expected. 

Beef Tongue - SO TENDER. Can't go wrong with a good beef tongue, and Yusho's is some of the best I've had.  

 Pork Belly - Came with "kimchi", not really what I expect kimchi to taste like since I'm Korean and know my kimchi, but I think they made it extra salty to go well with the pork. It worked.

 Black Sesame and Coffee Soft Serve - Lots of sesame flavor - toasted/candied black sesame on top, in the cone, and in the soft serve itself. At first it was delightful, then I just started to feel sick. 

 Kalamansi - I remember this as being good, but not great. My friend loved it and I just let her eat all of it as I struggled through the soft serve. 

Passion Fruit and Dark Chocolate Mochi - Tart and semi-sweet and chewy. Sounds good, right? It was. Also the only dessert that was (lightly) grilled. And yea, we got all three desserts on the menu. 


1 comment: