Sunday, April 1, 2012

Chicago Eats - Fish Bar


My search for the best lobster roll in the city continued on to Fish Bar. But I've been meaning to check out this Lakeview spot for quite a while, given that it's owned by the same fine folks next door at DMK Burger. The entrance is just off of Wellington west of Sheffield, btw; I was a bit confused because it didn't really look like a working door. Anyways, pictures of food and my thoughts on them below.

Fried Lemon, Onion, and Jalapeno
Who knew fried lemon would be so good? I'm a fan of fried onions and fried jalapeno, but I've never tried a fried lemon. Fish Bar slices lemons super-thin, throws them through some batter, and fries 'em up, rind and all. And it's delicious. The fried onions were cut way too thin for my liking, though. Same for the jalapenos, although not as big of an issue since they have a pretty strong flavor. But they should really cut up those onions a bit thicker.

Eastern Belly Clams
Hey, clams! I didn't think that these were anything too special. They tasted like any other fried clams I've ever had. Not much else left to say on that front...

Lobster Roll
Here it is, the item on the menu I was looking forward to the most. I'll just give a list of pros and cons:

Pros:

  1. Perfect roll. Buttered and toasted, light and fluffy but substantial enough to properly handle the morsels of lobster within. I think I liked this bun as much or even slightly more than the bun at NE Seafood Company.
  2. Decent amount of lobster meat.
  3. Decent overall size.
Cons:
  1. Lobster was cut up in chunks that were too small. 
  2. Some pieces of lobster seemed to be slightly overcooked.
  3. What's with all of the random green stuff? Take that out and put in more lobster!
  4. They used a creamy mayo like sauce for the lobster, and it wasn't bad, I just don't think it added much to the overall dish. 
  5. I thought it was a bit overpriced at $21 that day which was market price. Compare this to the $17 lobster roll at NE Seafood which had more lobster that was cooked better...and well you get the idea.
So this is definitely NOT my favorite lobster roll in the city. Moving on...


Scallops Special
The scallops were cooked perfectly on this dish and they were beautifully translucent on the inside. A good amount of seasoning too. Overall, a win and something to order if you see it on their specials. I was happy.

So, I'm glad that I was able to hit up Fish Bar, but I don't think I'll be back. DMK Burger next door is the better of the two sister restaurants (although I understand they're different menu items). It's worth trying out, but if you're having a hankering for a great lobster roll...you're better off at NE Seafood Company just up the street a bit.

2 comments:

  1. I really did enjoy the lobster roll at Fish Bar! But then I tried NESC haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm Your Favorite SongApril 2, 2012 at 9:01 AM

      Yea having good food is great, then you have better food and you're like oh this is GREAT! But if you have the better version first, then it ruins the experience of the lesser version :-/

      Delete