Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chicago Eats - Grahamwich


My apologies for the terrible graphic for grahamwich. Stupid angles, and stupid MSPaint. Anyways, Graham Elliot Bowles (or simply, Graham Elliot) has for some reason catapulted to one of my favorite celebrity chefs. I guess it's because he's from Chicago, has his namesake restaurant located just a 5 minute walk away from my apartment, and also apparently likes one of my favorite brands as well. So last week, some of my coworkers and I took a cab up north from the Loop to grab some good eats. Grahamwich's philosophy seems to be simple enough - a modern twist on the old school sandwich and soda parlors. It definitely had that type of vibe, and it was a pretty comfortable place. However, the girls in skirts had some difficulty with the ottoman like stool chairs, so reader be-warned. Seating was also limited to some bar stools at the counter and one long continuous table that seats around 16. It's pretty clear that most people grab food and bring it back to the office.

homemade vanilla cola, pork belly bbq

A friend and I decided to split a couple of sammiches to get the most of our trip. I had my mind set on the pork belly bbq grahamwich, which was basically pulled pork spun in some tangy bbq sauce. Notable toppings were cornbread (not as sweet and flavorful as I was hoping for), and some sort of creamy slaw. The slaw was decent, but wasn't really all that creamy; it was like an attempt at combining the standard creamy slaw with the zippy vinegar slaw. All together, the slaw wasn't too memorable. The pulled pork belly didn't really remind me of pork belly - I expected it to be a bit more moist, but it was a bit dry. I also opted to go for the homemade vanilla cola; it had the right amount of vanilla taste, but it was a bit flat. Initially, I was a bit underwhelmed.

grilled cheese w/italian proscuitto
Second half of the meal was the grilled cheese. I'm definitely a fan of grilled cheese (hint: when making grilled cheese at home, skip the butter and use regular mayo, not Miracle Whip. Afterall, mayo is just a form of fat like butter, but it cooks the bread to a crispier state for that perfect homemade grilled cheese with no mayo taste) and the addition of proscuitto? Sign me up! This sandwich was definitely delicious. Sometimes, it's the simpler foods that really deliver, and I was definitely 100% pleased with this sandwich as it even exceeded my expectations. 

We also got some of the homemade potato chips and popcorn with parmesan and truffle oil. Speaking of, truffle oil is one of those things that I somewhat enjoy but also hate. At first, it seems to elevate the taste of the dish. But at the end of the day, truffle oil has nothing to do with real, precious truffles; it's made in a laboratory like your favorite cologne. And just like any good cologne or perfume, truffle oil should be used sparingly. Sometimes, not at all. The more I eat dishes with truffle oil, the more I hate it. But it always tricks me at first.

Anyways, the chips and popcorn were good, but nothing that I would go back for specifically. However, I would go back for that grilled cheese, and also to try some of the other sandwiches I didn't get a chance to try. Next on my list: the Reuben.

1 comment:

  1. try PW's slaw! and I recently just read about that grilled cheese trick too, havent tried yet though.

    ReplyDelete