Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Chicago Eats - Sable Parts I & II




Sable, Round 1

  • Soft poached egg with Serrano ham - my favorite of the night.
  • Crispy pork belly B.L.T.s - I love pork belly. 
  • Pork spare ribs - Tender and flavorful, although the "root beer glaze" tasted more like lots of dijon mustard. The sauce was a bit overpowering.
  • Blue Hill mussels - Cooked well, but they're mussels; you love them or hate them.
  • Irish whiskey bread pudding - I don't think the Irish whiskey cooked out as much as it should have. But I love whiskey so I can't complain, although I think my dinner date had a different opinion.


Sable, Round 2

  • Roasted pumpkin gnocchi w/hazelnut cream sauce and fried sage - gnocchi, when done right, is delicious. This had the right texture, but not as much of a pumpkin taste as I wanted. 
  • Pork belly B.L.T.s - same as before, just as good as I remember.
  • Seared scallops w/tomato chutney and madras curry oil - quite possibly my favorite dish of the night.
  • Orange glazed quail w/rice cake and baby bok choy - a nice, sweet glaze, although I think the quail I had at Landmark was better (and meatier). The rice cake and bok choy were nothing special.
Sable is popular for a reason - consistently good food, a great atmosphere (if not a bit loud), and a solid menu suitable for everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment